Friday, June 4, 2010

"The Proposal"


Well it all began with one LOOK from Calaigh at her work. But this is not what I want to focus on...now I want to start my side of the story from when the real fireworks took flight. It all began after I flew home to introduce myself to everyone in her family. I wanted to take some time off work because its pretty much all I do in the summer and I never have time to breathe aside from knocking doors and selling alarm systems. As I flew into Salt Lake I kept thinking on the plane "This is IT, Calaigh is my IT, the ONE" Kind of a surreal experience really- I honestly got so excited. As my plane landed, Calaigh was already waiting for me down at baggage claim and it is hard to explain how hard my heart was pounding out of my chest in excitement to see her. I felt like a little kid again. But anyhow, I walked down the escalator and out to baggage claim where Calaigh came running over and jumped into my arms, she got the biggest "helicopter" hug of her life...ahhh soo nice.
We spent the rest of the day really just ring shopping and thinking about how I was going to propose...and when I say "we" i mean me...haha. I was so excited and had so many different things running through my head at that time- mainly just a nervous/excitement to talk to both sides of her family (our family) and ask permission to marry Calaigh. We ended up in the mall looking at a bunch of different rings and a particular ring stood out to me- I told Calaigh to go shopping and to disappear for a bit- while she was gone I bought the ring without her knowing and put it in my pocket. I am sooooo sneaky (: Oh and by the way, the ring is by far the prettiest ring I've ever seen- I knew it was the one for Calaigh.
So then I had the pleasure of driving up to Idaho to meet a bunch of family and friends. I was so anxious to meet everyone and to finally be able to introduce myself to the whole family. I had heard so many wonderful things about everyone and I LOVE family so it was really important to me. Family is the biggest thing in life- there is nothing more important then your family. I was really on cloud 9 the whole time up in idaho because everything just felt right- it all clicked. For me it felt as if I already knew everyone and could joke around and just be myself and have a good time- I definitely cant wait to spend a ton more time up that way. (See ya'll in September sometime).
Im going to fast forward to Calaigh and my drive home which really defines our relationship, everything from day one has been such a wonderful adventure. On our way back we literally talked the whole way about our dreams and goals- what we want in life, what we hate, past loves, everything- we laid it all out on the table for each other. I have never felt so open and been able to just lay everything out for someone. I remember looking over at Calaigh and I saw her smile as she looked out the window- it was the smile she does when I know she is really happy and truly just loves something (same smile when she got her snow cone, haha). I just thought to myself "I am the LUCKIEST guy in the whole world." As we drove, laughed, and just talked Calaigh and I pulled over off the freeway just to stretch for a second. I opened my doors up and turned up "Baby Blue Eyes by Rocket to the Moon" I grabbed Calaigh's hand and we started to dance in the middle of the road under the stars. At that moment nothing else in the world mattered- All I saw was Calaigh and I fell harder for the girl of my dreams, the most spontaneous, fun, and completely INTRIGUING person I have ever met. We danced for probably 20 minutes on the side of the road and if anyone needs dance lessons call us- we tore that road up!
This story to be continued...gotta get ready for work!

Ok back on track...

After the most romantic car ride of my life- I don't know if I am doing what I felt this night justice- but pulling over to dance, being able to just hold Calaigh in my arms, i felt so at peace and just pure JOY for the first time in a very very long time. Not to mention we danced under the stars which couldn't have made the night any more perfect.
Now enough of Utah. Sunday the day we flew out to Milwaukee happened to just be Calaigh's birthday and it was funny because her family wanted me to propose right away- but I didn't want it to be cliche' if I proposed on her birthday so I waited for my opportune moment, when everything was just right. I got my moment. We arrived in Milwaukee super late and so really all we did was get back to the apartments and get situated, got Calaigh all set up in her room and then hit the hay. I had the opportunity to work hard the next day as i ANXIOUSLY tormented myself about how I was going to propose...and on the way out to my "area" (where I was going to knock doors that day) I asked the 7 guys in my car how I should propose just trying to get a feel for some fresh ways to do it. I got nothing out of my boys- nothing but classic simple ways (which isn't a bad thing). I milled around with a bunch of different ideas all day long but something stood out to me; where everything really took off for us which was on the boardwalk at lake michigan. I couldn't hold in my excitement any longer as I was knocking- I even sold an account or two, but I called Calaigh and told her to be ready that night so we could go on a fun date. At this point I didn't know this night was going to be the night I proposed but I was going to go by my heart and the spirit.
When I was on my way home from work I was of course super late so everything with the date was postponed until another night but I wanted to take Calaigh over to the boardwalk to just talk and enjoy her presence. I got all ready to head out and I snuck the ring box into my pocket without her knowing (which I don't know how she didn't notice because in my designer jeans the pockets are so tight it was like SHABAAAM perfect square sticking outta my front left pocket, and no its not a gun). I vividly remember getting into the empty parking lot and my heart just started to pound out of my chest and I knew this night was the beginning of the rest of my life. We danced in the parking lot for a minute and then I took Calaigh by the hand and we just started to walk along the shore. The waves were crashing up against the rocks and it was a little windy but the milwaukee skyline was completely lit up all around us as we walked. Nothing could have been more in place at this specific moment in time, everything was just right. I pulled Calaigh closer as we walked towards the city and we started to talk about our lives together. Every time Calaigh and I have spoken about how we feel I always feel the spirit and my heart starts to beat out of my chest. I smile now thinking of how nervous I actually was...but as i held Calaigh in my arms I looked into her eyes and told her I loved her. She turned to look at the city and I got down on my knee...instantly when she turned back to see me I saw tears start to build up in her eyes and I simply asked "Will honor me and be my wife- Will you marry me Calaigh?" I saw her smile in a way I never have before (Calaigh has a bunch of different smiles and I can tell each smile without even seeing her, all I have to do is hear her talk and I know what smile she is doing) but this one was different, it was full and beautiful and tears were built up in her eyes. Calaigh looked down at me on my knee and said "Yes." I had the ring box open and her ring was staring up at her, so I pulled it out of the box and slid it onto her ring finger. I got pretty emotional and we kissed for the first time as fiancé's. I was so excited I picked her up and gave her a big helicopter hug and spun her around and just held her tight. I didn't know a fairy tale could actually exist until I met Calaigh. I have searched all my life for someone who is so loving, open, sweet, honest, respectful, spontaneous, intriguing, fun spirited, adventurous, hard working, etc. and I never thought I would ever find the complete package. Turns out I was wrong...Calaigh is IT for me. She's the one. The one you hear about, read about, pray about. She's my everything. We walked back to OUR chevy van which was parked in the lot and Calaigh turned on the music and as if the moment couldn't get any better we danced. I turned up the music and spun her around in the parking lot, all we could do was smile at each other- I literally had my cheeks aching from smiling so big. After dancing and having the time of our life we hopped in the van and started to drive away. Well seeing as how Calaigh and I NEVER have been afraid to say or do anything- as I was driving out of the park I realized we didn't take ONE picture- so I saw a workers truck drive past us and I flipped a U-Turn in the chevy (which I should get some kind of medal or gold star for) and chased this guy down. I flashed my lights and honked my horn to get his attention and he pulled to the side and I asked if he would take a couple of pictures for us- to which he replied "I don't know how to work this thing" and in Calaigh and my mind we both thought "its the same as it always has CLICK the button on the top...haha." But this nice old grumpy park officer took a bunch of pictures for us and it just made our night. Sorta fit perfectly with Calaigh and I because everything has worked out from the second I walked into draper rehab center. It just feels right, everything fits and really couldn't be a better match for me. Chasing down this guy to take pictures, stopping in the middle of nowhere just to dance, talking all night just to talk, proposing on the boardwalk, meeting the whole family in one weekend, its all been crazy but the best experience of my life. Oh and this should have been inserted up but I felt so at peace and at home when I was around her family, I definitely can't wait to spend a ton of time getting to know my new family.
Ill never forget the way Calaigh looked at me when we first caught eyes, danced along the side of the road, talked all night in my car (Sharon I'm Sorry), the look Calaigh gave me as she left Milwaukee the first time, the same stare and look she gave me as I asked her to marry me FOREVER. Calaigh I promise you I'm yours, 110% yours, you're everything I've EVER looked for and SO much more, my true love.

1 comment:

  1. this makes me so happy. seriously. all of it. haha you two are way too cute. ive heard all about how excited calaighs been through all this but now ster ster comes forward with his side :) so cute. you guys are just... idk, perfect. haha i love youuu!

    ReplyDelete